9.25.2010

What's Cookin: Almond Crusted Chicken + Cold Lentil Salad

I can't even begin to tell you what a delish and SUPER EASY meal these two recipes make! Trust me...if I can make it, anyone can! I'm not known for my cookery skills, but this makes not only a tasty meal, but a very healthy one at that.

Having been carefully considering my weight, lack of fitness, and general level of health, I went to my favie Whole Living for some kick-me-in-the-rear inspiration. I've set a weight loss goal, pirated a handful of amazing recipes, and signed myself up for a free account on FitDay.com (an online journal tool where you can enter all your food - and it calculates its nutritional value, enter measurements, exercise, you name it! HIGHLY recommend it, if you're looking for such a thing.)

We're hosting the fabulous Mr. + Mrs. M for dinner an Bananagrams on Monday and this is what I'll be cooking (only no almonds for Mr. M...I'll be doing a panko-crusted version instead.) Have a super weekend!

Almond-Crusted Chicken Breast with Spinach - Whole Living

Makes 4 servings
  • 4 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts
  • 1/2 c. roasted, unsalted almonds
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
  • 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make a coarse paste of 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted almonds, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt, and 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a food processor. Rub onto 2 seasoned boneless, skinless organic chicken breast halves. Roast in 425-degree oven until cooked through, 15 to 18 (18 mins was perfect for me) minutes. Slice and serve on baby spinach with lemon wedges. Serves 2 to 4. {see recipe here}
Cold Lentil Salad

Makes 2 cups
  • 1/2 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 1 garlic clove, halved lengthwise
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup) (I left this out)
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup) (I used 1/8-1/4 c. of white onion)
  • 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (I substituted cilantro, which rocked!)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon warm water
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the lentils and garlic in simmering salted water for 10 minutes, or until the lentils are crisp-tender. Drain and run the lentils under cold water. Discard the garlic. In a bowl, toss together the lentils, celery, onion, and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and water. Drizzle over the lentils and stir gently to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. {see recipe here}

5 comments:

Casee Marie said...

That looks spectacular! I'm definitely bookmarking so I can give this a try sometime soon. And thanks for the info on FitDay. It sounds quite interesting, and just what I've been looking for.

Anonymous said...

As RR would Say: "YUMM-OH!"

I had cold bean salad for the first time last week, lentil one sounds a tad similar- and it was so good!

And the chicken recipe mmmmmmm looks awesome, can't wait to try.

TY for sharing!!

Meeling said...

Looks great! I'll be trying that one out for sure! Yum!!

M.M.E. said...

The cold salad sounds great! Definitely a recipe I'll have to try. And when I scrolled down and saw "The Worst Witch" I had a gigantic flashback. I must have watched that thing a hundred times! Tim Curry was hysterical!

Christine (Remember December) said...

Gosh that looks so good!

Lovely blog, btw! Am a follower now :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...