6.14.2010

list twenty-one: GreenSpot commitments

I posted on the Hello Magpie facebook page last week some exciting news... Our home (and thus, Hello Magpie) have been approved as a Columbus GreenSpot! As a local "green" initiative established by our Mayor Coleman, GreenSpot allows Columbus homes and businesses to commit to changes which will create a more ecologically responsible environment. Once approved, GreenSpot encourages each of us to share our lists -- to reconfirm our intentions and educate others on our actions to be eco-aware.

This is my GreenSpot pledge. Many of these, we already do; others will be gradually introduced.


Here's how I will conserve energy
    • I will replace my regular incandescent light bulbs with high-efficiency compact fluorescent ones.
    • I will drive 10 fewer miles per week.
    • I will purchase foods, goods, and services that are grown or produced close to home.
    • I will turn my thermostat up in the summer, and down in the winter, or I will install a programmable thermostat.
    • Other ways we will conserve energy. Please tell us what you will be doing in the space at the end of the form.
    • We will line dry our laundry the majority of the time, rather than using a clothes dryer.
    Here's how I will conserve & protect water
      • I will water my yard only once a week, keeping in mind that 1 inch of rain/water is enough to keep most lawns healthy.
      • I will install a rain barrel in my yard to collect rainwater, and use it to water my plants.
      • I will install a low-flush toilet, or put a bottle of water or a displacement bag in my tank so I use less water with each flush.
      • I will plant a tree on my property.
      • Other ways we will conserve & protect water. Please tell us what you will be doing in the space at the end of the form.
      • We no longer use our dishwasher. Instead, we use eco-friendly cleaning products and hand-wash our dishes, controlling the amount of water used.
      • We no longer take excessively long showers.
      • We no longer let the water run when brushing our teeth.
      Here's how I will reduce, recycle and reuse
        • I will carry reusable bags when I shop.
        • I will choose products that use less packaging and less harmful material.
        • I will request to be taken off junk mailing lists, stop catalog orders, and pay my bills online.
        • I will avoid one-use items such as paper plates.
        • I will buy small amounts of items that have a short shelf life and bulk amounts of items that do not go bad quickly.
        • I will donate unused or unwanted items instead of throwing them away-and explore thrift stores instead of always buying something new.
        • I will recycle paper, steel, glass, and plastic by using my local curbside subscription program.
        • I will separate my yard waste (like grass clippings and leaves) from other trash, and leave it by the curb on my assigned day or I will compost it.
        • We avoid buying petro-based plastics as often as possible.
        • We are mending older clothes, making new clothes from vintage/thrift store fabrics, supporting handmade artisans, and committing to giving handmade gifts.
        • My home business philosophy is that of eco-awareness and conscious consumerism, providing eco-friendly goods, functional, long-lasting products, and vintage items -- all of which support reducing waste by extending product lifecycle, reducing waste, and encouraging reusable items. All of my shipping materials are 100% recycled, repurposed, or reused.

        Want to be a GreenSpot, too? If you're in Central Ohio, visit the Green Spot website to apply. If you're elsewhere, check out the application for great ideas on how to go beyond recycling!

        1 comments:

        Unknown said...

        yay!! we proudly displayed a green spot sticker at our old house! we need to do that in our new house now too!! ill add it to my list ;)

        Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...