5.29.2010

DIY: Martha Stewart Crepe Paper Black-Eyed Susans

I am a masochist for Martha Stewart paper flower kits, apparently. Or perhaps enough time has lapsed that I forgot how challenging they are? Anywho. I did another. It was a doozy, but I love crepe paper enough to take on round 2 of the paper flower challenge.

Before...
A cover shot of the kit package and a professional pic of what the final should could maybe look like if we were all as gifted as the creators in Marthaville...

After...
Voila! My stems. What do you think? I tied a pretty white grosgrain ribbon onto the mason jar and gave this pretty bunch of crepe paper black-eyed susans to my momma for Mother's Day. She was happy :)

Words of caution...
It takes. For. Ever. It looks like this when you open the package:
Copious amounts of cutting is involved. Sharp scissors are your frienemy on this project. I did it in stages. First, all the cutting out of the pieces. Then, making the brown centers and floral taping them to the stems. After that, it was assembly line of petals, small leaves, and large leaves. Stretch. Fan. Roll. Fold. Fuss. Repeat eighteen times. They turned out surprisingly lovely and the crepe paper is very high quality. If anyone knows of a resource for buying thick European crepe paper, I'd be your BFF if you share a link or two. Thanks!

6 comments:

anna and the ring said...

Wow, so much work!

Although the do look rather fabulous! I would never have that much patience!

twin2kim said...

Great work, girlie! Precision and patience! Yep! I know the feeling when crafty things require them both! :)

Very well done....woo-hoo!

Mom said...

the word frienemy is an absolute classic. haha.

ty i love my flowers so much, ty!

(and to know how difficultthey were to make makes them even more special to me, sweetums!)

Unknown said...

That looks amazing! And alot of work. lol! Nice job Evelyn! And kudos to you for all that patience but it's worth it for your mom. : )

Diana Mieczan said...

LOL...I thought those a real...hahah...I have to try this:) So pretty and you did great:)
Kisses

Anne said...

I got this too! Found a clearance set at the Walmart in Grove City. :) Nice job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...