4.12.2010

list twelve : lost & found.


Some things I've lost along the way...
- my grandparents
- my dad
- my nice hamster Bruce (yes, like Springsteen. He had  a big...um...pair. Everyone laughed at him. I was 9 and was completely clueless.)
- my mean hamster (who replaced Bruce and who bit my grandma & ran away. Don't even remember it's name, only remember he was a mean little cuss.)
- innocence (it's inevitable, but sad to lose don't you think?)
- integrity (I have some not-so-proud moments...)
- focus (or a lack of priorities. No..a lack of focus. Whatevs.)
- friendships (and I use the term loosely in this context.)
- favorite teddy named Pinky (mice in the garage turned him into a nest. Eww..)
- 2 of a set of 3 vintage enamelware bowls. (Who loses bowls?! I can't bring myself to get rid of the lonely yellow and black one.)
- Lost my cell phone once at the Dublin Irish Festival. It pretty much ruined the day, until I went to the lost and found when we were on our way out and lo and behold, someone had turned it in. They even sent a couple text messages to friends/family in my phone, to tell them to tell me that they were turning it in. That still amazes me. Whomever did that for me, thank you.


And a few things I've found:
- an honest-to-goodness best friend
- true love
- a belief system
- money (Nothing beats finding a $20 in a Christmas card, people.)
- self-worth (This one gets lost in the shuffle, but it's there.)
- once-in-a-lifetime experiences (Oh the stories!)
- the truth in people (Sometimes it's ugly, but mostly it's glorious.)
- forgiveness (Though it still doesn't come easy for me.)
- determination (It's what helps me find my focus.)
- what I want to do with my life (and I'm doing it.)
- peace of mind ('tis what it is.)

So there's my list. It was harder to come up with physical things that I've lost in my life because, well, I don't tend to lose things; I merely misplace them temporarily. Finding things is entirely different. I love finding things, whether they're my things to begin with or not. Lost animals, one-of-a-kinds, or other people's stuff...it's fascinating to think of all things lost and found in the world. If you're like me and like the stories behind found objects (real or make-believe), check out Found Magazine and the Museum of Found Things. I could look at this stuff for hours.

How about you? What sorts of things have you lost or found over the years? Anything like a footless parrot?

3 comments:

Saffron Panda Amigurumi said...

Things I've lost:
-Some bad friends
-One good friend
-Weight

Things I've gained:
-A Wonderful husband
-A new sense of confidence
-Weight

Haha, it is funny how the same elements can end up on both lists!

It would be interesting to do this exercise for different aspects of one's life. Like a creative lost and found list. Like...

Things lost:
-The "I am not the creative type" attitude
-The idea that crochet=doilies

Things found:
-A love for creative crochet
-A dream to design and sew my own clothes...
-And maybe sell a few pieces on the side for yarn money!

Lydia Joy said...

I mostly taught myself how to screen print. When I was in highschool my Mom bought me a fabric screen printing kit for Christmas (one of my sister's friends had one, and I thought it was awesome). I used it once until about 6 months ago when I decided I wanted to screen print my own wedding invitations. So I learned how using the instruction booklet that came with my kit (it was a speedball kit). I also got some advice from the printmaking professor where I went to college. Of course I didn't get into this until after I was out of school so I couldn't take a class.
It is SO addicting! Once you get started, you will start dreaming up new things you want to print!

Mom said...

Bruce just, um, wasn't RIGHT.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...