1.29.2009

To Eat, Drink & Be Married

As I catch myself mulling over the cost of weddings and the strange urge to overspend, overthink and overstress just about every aspect of our wedding planning, I try to bring myself back into reality and not lose sight of what truly matters most about that day -- that it's the first day of a new life with the man I love, my best friend and partner in crime. We have our church booked and, honestly, what else does one need? Regardless of what I wear, what we eat or what the flowers look like, we're going to be surrounded by our most beloved friends and family, making memories that will last a lifetime. I cannot explain the profound peace that alone brings me. There is no other way I would have it.

Another thought that keeps me from going into a complete and utter tizzy is remembering what those amazingly fabulous brides from the 1940s did. Those wartime brides had entirely more challenges brought before them than I ever will and those are the ladies who truly inspire me. I think the key is to keep things in perspective. Every person we are inviting is part of our nearest and dearest and would probably not bat an eye if I were to show up wearing a white sweatsuit. No one will starve, everyone will be comfortable, happy and share in the love of the day. D. isn't leaving for war, I don't have to work in a factory, no rations are being used to make a cake. We have a humble home, money coming in and plenty in our lives to look forward to and be thankful for. Already we're that much ahead of the game!

So, with that said, I vow to no longer let the details make me anything other than giddy with excitement and anticipation. I will not be stressed, sad or overwhelmed and instead, will cherish every moment of planning given to me. To life -- eat, drink and be married!

3 comments:

HennHouse said...

Beautiful!

Evelyn said...

Well thank you very kindly!

Anonymous said...

Amen, sistah! You got it down riiiiight!

Blessings to you both in the happy months ahead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...