8.09.2010

31 Years.

 

Today is my birthday. The big 3-1. That is just...weird. It sounds so old! ha! It's been a tremendously fantastic year for me; chock full o' life-changing events, happy times, growth, and laughter. One more year to relish in the idea that I don't look my age, though I haven't really the foggiest of ideas as to what a thirty-something should look like...I do have an inkling that I'll be clinging to that idea for years to come, despite the more-than-a-dozen glittery silver hairs and tiny crow's feet taking residence. (Admittedly, I think crow's feet make for "smiling eyes", so I don't mind them much at this point.)

To celebrate my birthday this year, a few of my nearest and dearest  met up with me at our favorite, local taco truck this past Friday (where I killed 2 al pastor tacos and 2 asada tacos. YUM!) Then Mr. & Mrs. M came over for cake, blueberry fro yo, and board games (P.S. Outburst is a new favorite!)

First, let me say that I made myself a lovely little birthday cake this year and was very excited. It was a white cake (with a bit of brown sugar because I ran out of white), cherry-vanilla filling, and pink vanilla frosting with clear sugar sprinkles, topped with a vintage wooden spool for a candle holder and handmade bunting on the front. It was pretty, let me tell you what! But...disgusting. Which I find endlessly hilarious. Everyone ate it, said it was good, and couldn't understand why I didn't like it, but whether they meant it remains to be seen. I didn't even finish my piece, I thought it so bad. That's what I get for using a new recipe. Better for me than on someone else's birthday!

So, there you have it. My birthday cake story. Today, I think we'll celebrate quietly with hot dogs and mac-n-cheese for dinner and, perhaps, a scoop of  Jeni's to make up for my cute-yet-inedible birthday cake.

10 comments:

Annie @ Wattlebird said...

Happy birthday!

Courtney said...

Happy Birthday, dear! Gosh, I hope I look that good at 31. I'm still feeling unsure about 25 today. :S

What was so bad about the cake? Was it the cake itself, or the cherry vanilla filling? Because it sounds like it should have been fabulous. I love that you're doing Mac&Cheese. We'll be doing Grilled Cheese. :)

Happy Birthday!

Evelyn said...

Thank you, my dears!

Courtney, about the cake. Though the frosting and filling was a bit on the too sweet side for me, it was the cake itself that was the pits. Though the flavor was acceptable (though not delish), it was very dense...almost like a pound cake, minus all of a pound cake's buttery goodness. I did sift, but not enough I guess. Ew. haha!

Courtney said...

Hm. Maybe substituting with brown sugar required another tweaking to happen. :( It sure turned out pretty though. :)

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. :)

Momma said...

Happy Birthday, Baby!!!!

And you totallllly don't look your age. But, ahem, you soooo get it honestly. : )

I hope you have a wonderful day. I see you kept the childhood birthday annual dinner of mac and cheese and hot dogs alive. Only time my Mom would ever let us have it, haha, our birthdays. Enjoy every oh-my-goh-so-bad-for-me bite.
Tee hee. And think of Gramma Green House and your life.

WALSTIB, eh?

And while we are strollin down memory lane, I have a song 4 u:

Happy birthday, happy birthday
Just For You.

Happy birthday, and may all your dreams come true.

When you blow out the candles, one light stays aglow.

It's the love light of your smile
Where er'e you go.

~~~~(LJMJr)

I love you, Tiny.

Mom

HennHouse said...

Happy Birthday!!

I thought of you last night as I was going through all of the costume jewelry I've received from grandmothers and great-grandmothers over the years. Some of it is pretty cool. Including a super-cute glove holder.

And I've got LOADS of wooden thread spools if you ever find yourself in need of another.

Hope your day is FABULOUS.

(((hugs)))

Unknown said...

happy bday!!! welcome to my age ;) the cake. is. adorable!!

Ashley Morris said...

Happy Birthday! And 31 is SO not old (and may I say you definitely don't look it)!
Looks like you had a great birthday with a cute cake and wonderful people. May there be many, many more to come! :D

Mr. M. said...

I ate the entire cake. Shut up, it was good, so I took it home and ate it.

Happy B-Day Cutie, LY

Diana Mieczan said...

Happy Belated Birthday..sweetie!!!
You look beautiful and that cake looks so yummy:)

Kisses lovely:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...