5.19.2010

What's Cookin? Wednesday: Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs


I did it! I cooked! Sort of...Technically, Bubs did the grilling, but still...I was in the kitchen! The recipe originates from one of my vintage cookbooks, with some tiny changes and general lack of measuring (which is completely out of character for me.) All in all, we were happy with the result = cheap, super easy, and tasty!

What's cookin?:


Spinach salad
Homemade honey wheat bread
Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs

How to make it?
skinless, boneless chicken breast, chunky cubes
red pepper, cut into chunky pieces
green pepper, cut into chunky pieces
pineapple, cut into chunky pieces
1 c. tomato juice (but you could use any juice. I think orange juice would be better.)
1 crushed garlic clove
1/2 tsp (or a good shake) of the following:
ground ginger
curry powder (I left it out, but it could've used it)
healthy sprinkle of onion salt (or 1 sm onion, grated)
* I  almost put some red pepper flakes in...next time I think I will.

Skewer your chicken, pineapple, and peppers. Set aside in shallow pan. Mix together marinade ingredients. Pour over skewers. Marinate for at least 2 hours. (*I marinated ours for 1 hour and it was good, but the longer, the stronger the flavor, which it needed.) Grill or broil the skewers & serve.

I think Hawaiian sweet bread, a fresh spinach & citrus salad, and coconut rice would be great additions.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

those look YUM!

*hugs*
Erika
http://tiptoebutterfly.blogspot.com/

C'est La Vie said...

that looks sooo yummy and healthy! yum yum yum

xoxo
sara

Diana Mieczan said...

Healthy and yummy...Great combo!
Great job:)
Kisses:)
Happy Thursday!

Dan Reeve said...

Evelyn did a great job. These were very yumm.

MSM said...

Beautiful picture, too- looks so healthy!

Whoo hoo- thanks for the recipe, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...