5.03.2010

list 15: most embarassing moments


Everyone has those moments you never, ever wish anyone would ever relive, but they're so funny you can't help but retell. These are a few of mine...because nothing is more humbling than a little humiliation amongst friends.

1. When I was about 13, I went to the mall with a group of girls to hang out and go to the movies. It was one of those things you did, hoping to catch the eye of a cute boy and awkwardly muddle your way through novice-level flirting. Of course, we didn't want our parents to drop us off anywhere near the entrance...that's entirely too embarrassing. Instead, we were dropped off waaaaaaay out at the far end of the parking lot. As my friends and I were walking toward the entrance of the mall, I spied a small group of completely cute boys about 100 yards away. Rather than watch where I was going, I watched the boys, and tried to keep up with my friends peripherally, which was disastrous. All I remember next was a loud GOOONNNNNNGGGG sound, opening my eyes to my friends looking down at me, as I lay flat on my back. I had walked, full-force, into a huge metal support beam and knocked myself out cold! All because I was looking at boys, God help me. Rather than feel badly at all, with no quiet escape home, I got to spend the rest of the evening being teased about the huge, purple goose-egg lump on my forehead. Not one of my finest moments.


2. Again, in 8th grade (apparently, a banner year for me), I was a football cheerleader and our coach was a tough cookie. For some odd reason, she had it in her head that hoop earrings were the devil. It was a home game and my mom and sister had come to watch me cheer. I was so excited! But then, as luck would have it, Coach Browning caught the glimmer of my hoop earrings. Yes, I knew the rules...but in all the excitement of the pre-game, I forgot to take them out. That woman yanked me out of that football game so fast it would make your head spin -- loudly -- and in front of our entire grandstand of fans. She didn't stop there. She chided me in front of everyone, mom included. Now, in 8th grade, I was a bit of a pistol. Did I keep my mouth shut? No. When I realized that reasoning and apologizing wasn't going to get me back to cheering, I freaked out and yelled right back. Again. Not very smart. I got to spend the rest of the half in the stands with my mom, freezing to death in a cheerleading skirt. Needless to say, that was the last year I tried out for cheerleading.
3. A number of years ago, I was driving along a busy multi-lane highway. The sun was shining and windows were down. Then, out of nowhere...I had to barf. Right. Now. Ohmygosh. Gonna barf. Holy crap, what do I do? It happened so fast, I couldn't pull over or anything! So, what do I do? I grab a Wendy's Biggie-sized cup and throw up in it. Oh, sure, seemed like a great plan...until it reached the top and I was still getting sick! (Did I mention I'm still driving, albeit radically, on the highway? Oh yes. I was praying to every saint I could think of to keep me safe because death by car accident because of random ralphing is just too humiliating for anyone.) At that point, I managed to grab a little garbage bag (which I now keep nearby at all times) and finished being sick into it, barfing, and driving with one hand. Honestly, I haven't a clue where I was going, but wherever it was, I got there safely and without throwing up on myself. What a day.

Aside from your run of the mill, laugh-til-you-pee-yourself, food-stuck-in-your-teeth kind of moments, those three are my top three most embarrassing moments. At least, those are the ones I can recall right now (denial does wonders for repression, let me tell you what.) If you know me, am I forgetting any other glorious, shiny moments of total humiliation? What are your most humiliating moments. Do tell :)

5 comments:

MSM said...

OMG I am ctying I am laughing so hard - bwuahahahahahahaha!!!!!

You are the best story teller!

MSM said...

Well, this past Saturday I boiled some hard boiled eggs for my husband to take at this function thing he was going to....good source of protein, no mess, fills one up............

When he came home I asked him how his day went and he said everything but the uncooked eggs, haha.

Gulp.

Now, honestly how difficult is it REALLY to make a hard boiled egg? SHEESH. I was so embarrased, and he was so hungry!!!!!

Mr. M said...

3. Knocked the hat off a bishop in front of 3000 people and a TV camera because I was being "cool" swinging the 6 pound ball&chain smoking bowl of incense around one Easter Mass....

2. Knocked myself unconscious on a steel beam running across my basement... and missed the 4th or 5th date with my future[now] wife... your mother.

1. Set my kitchen on fire just before the 6th date with that previously mentioned future[now] wife... you mother.

I could go on... but for her sake...

Evelyn said...

These are freaking hilarious! Thank you for sharing :) People, this is part of the reason why my family rocks. We have no shame!

I am teary from laughing. You guys are the best!

Diana Mieczan said...

Heheheheh..I love those...I am laughing like crazy!

Once I sent to my adviser a message which was directed to my boyfriend...And I didn’t realized it till we met that afternoon and he told me that unfortunately he is in a relationship but if he wouldn’t be....
The message said: 'I love you more every day'...It was our anniversary :)
After all that..I had to tell my advisor that it was an accident and believe me it was so unpleasant!
Now days I am always double checking my messages!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...