2.15.2010

Farmhouse Modern

Modern Farmhouse Tables


I love modern-meets-farmhouse design. To me, it reflects the best of both worlds -- fresh, uncluttered aesthetics married to a nostalgic, comfortable place. Farmhouse modern isn't sterile or cliché. It is simple, unique and unfussy. A perfect combination, wouldn't you agree?

Just the other day, I was checking out 'say YES to hoboken', one of the blog finalists at The RikRak Studio's Handmade Olympics, Event #8 -- Favorite Blog with a Handmaking Focus. Tara at Scoutie Girl was the judge for this event and she posted all about SYtH, so I had to check it out for myself. Let me tell you how happy I am that I did, too, because I really love this blog. Full of inspiration, great photos and creative projects, it's right at the top of my new favorite dailies.

So, while poking around, I came across this rocking idea -- a DIY farmhouse table. As soon as I saw it, this DIY project jumped right to the top of our summer projects list. I love eclectic pieces and a modern farmhouse table would be a perfect replacement to our current dining table. Though our current auction-rescue table is still in pretty good shape and is a decent size, it's getting rickety, has weird legs that aren't conducive to seating lots of folks and I am desperate for something we can grow into.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that I really, really don't want to spend much money on it? Bubs is totally on board with a new DIY adventure (and this most def will fit the bill...), so I'm really excited to get started. As soon as the weather breaks, we're going to give this DIY farmhouse table a go. What do you think? Can we do it? For $30 in materials and a weekend, we're willing to give it a try. I may even keep my fingers crossed, head over to Columbus Architectural Salvage (one of my favorite places ever) and see if they have any reclaimed wood for the top planks. To make it even better, I have two wooden benches to pick up at my family's old homestead that would be perfect additions -- recycled, full of happy memories and free!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE those tables - esp that one that looks more like a coffee table - so kewl it's got stones in it? I wonder if a tiny little bonsai bunch could reside there?

These pictures are vry inspiring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...