1.05.2010

Ta-Da! New Year, New Shelving


We did it. We bit the bullet and bought new furniture for my office. OMW, it's super crazy fantastic loads of goodness. Who knew that metal and melamine could make a girl so happy?!

So on Sunday, I woke up all bent out of shape, as the previous two days (on and off) were spent cramped at my old desk, contacting suppliers, working on my business tax filing and brainstorming. Sure, I got a lot done but I didn't enjoy it like I should've because most of it was spent swearing under my breath at my (very) rickety ugly ol' desk, piles of paperwork, yarn, fabric, plastic Joann's bags, general disarray and lack of shelving. I was just salty about it and doing a fair share of sulking about it, honestly.

Bubs noticed the sulkfest, of course. He asked me what I wanted. We discussed some options. Briefly. I knew I had wanted an Elfa wall system from The Container Store for the last three years. I knew it was a good product because I used to work there. I also knew that it wasn't the cheapest solution, nor was it the most expensive. The deciding factor was that, until sometime in February, all Elfa products at The Container Store are 30% off. Holla!

Honestly, I had carefully weighed my options with Pottery Barn Outlet, JCPenny's, craigslist fixer-uppers, Ikea...you name it. For me, I wanted the best quality and most stuff for my dollar...intrinsic value, if you will. Elfa designs are free (online or in-store), free to pick up, easy to install, extremely well-made, adjustable and portable. It really was a pretty easy decision to make. The stuff really is that good.

Off we went to pick up Mr. M's van and drive on over to the store. With the trusty (to scale, of course) wall elevation of my Elfa plan in hand, we knew what we were in it to win it. That was around 4 o'clock. At 5:30, we were on our way home with all the shelving, standards, boxes and bags. Sure, it took us HOURS getting everything just so, but that was partly because we dilly-dallied, had to track down our level, measured a million times, made a frozen pizza and then I cleaned every computer component and did some major wire organization while I was at it.

Please excuse the work-in-progress photo, but I had to share. See all the white shelving and massive work top? That's it! What do you think? This office will be organized if it kills me! More shelves and things will be added as our budget allows, but for now, I'm beyond excited to have a happy, closer-to-tidy space to work in. By the way...all of that shelving is held up with 10 screws. Pretty rad, isn't it? I wish I could have Elfa in every room of our house. Oh, especially in a bright white laundry room. That would make me actually want to do laundry. Well, it would make me not loathe laundry time, anyway...

P.S. In case you were curious, the ugly desk currently resides in the spare room, to be reborn into my packing + shipping center. Hurrah for repurposing!

2 comments:

HennHouse said...

I LOVE IT!

(And I'm anxiously awaiting the wedding picture viewing, too!)

Amanda @ Ruffled said...

I love my Elfa system! At first I was skeptical about holding the weight, but I have tons of books and boxes on my shelves and they're still there. I keep wanting to add up more shelves everytime I go to the Container Store...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...