1.01.2010

New Year & New Beginnings!


It's hard for me to express what a truly amazing year I had in 2009. The last ten years have had their share of ups and downs - with loss and birth, moves, graduations, job changes and marriages. From start to finish, this has been a decade of true personal growth. It's strange to think that any other decade in my life may never rival the first decade of the new millennium in quite the same way, but I am beyond excitement in being blessed with every opportunity to try!

This blog started out much like many others, but has evolved into so much more for me. It's helped me to realize that my determination and creativity are my own and something of which to be very proud. Rather than allowing myself to think that I'm not good enough, creative enough or that no one would be interested, I've learned quite the opposite and, because of all of you who read my humble writings, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your encouragement has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. Big things are in store for me in 2010!

So here it is...the official announcement. After many years of hoping and wishing, I'm turning a dream into a reality with the creation of Hello Magpie -- an online retail store of creative, quality handmade gifts, goods and paper works, all by me. The specifics are still in the works and will take some time, but I couldn't stand not sharing the good news with everyone who helped me believe in myself and my abilities. This has been a long-time coming and I can't wait to share more as things develop. (Trust me, you'll be the first to know as they come!)

Here's a little background history on how I came to make this decision. From as far back as I can recall, art was a huge part of my life. Musicians, painters, designers and writers abound in my family and nurturing your God-given talents was always encouraged. My mom put me in private art classes with one of my grandma's dearest friends when I was a kid. I took piano lessons from a family friend and practiced on my grandmother's piano. My great-grandfather, aunt and sister are outstanding painters, each with their own developed styles. My mom could be a singer/songwriter/pianist, writer or interior designer for a living, if she so chose. Having keen eyes, ears and nimble fingers is in my blood. It is my birth right.

It's a very long story how I went from high school graduation to college graduation, but I'll tell you this: the Columbus College of Art & Design is no joke. It broke me more than once. There were so many sleepless nights, I lost count. Literally, my blood, sweat and tears went into nearly every piece I created. I even took a nearly four-year break, in which I had a career in quality management for an IT call center.) In fact, it was that break that helped me decide the direction my life would take. After nearly six years with that company, I left to return to CCAD full-time. I had three semesters to go and I was on the Dean's List every one of them. I took my love and knowledge of computers and translated it into design. I took design courses on top of rewriting my senior thesis on sustainable home design and excelled. After all my years at CCAD, on my own, I had managed to marry my two loves -- computers and design -- and my graphic design career was born.

One thing that I had always known about myself is that I am self-motivated. I'm a self-starter. And, generally, a huge pain to manage because I really believe I could do it better if you'd just let me do it myself. Micromanagement is not my friend and neither is boredom. After lukewarm design jobs under fluorescent lights, I couldn't take it anymore. Something had to be done! My strongest skills had helped create the perfect incubator for my entrepreneurial dreams. My most-amazing family encouraged me. Things were worked out. My husband believed in me then (and believes in now.) It was decided. We'd make it work. And the rest will be history in the making, my friends. The goal is to launch Hello Magpie this Spring 2010 and what better time for new beginnings than the season of growth and rebirth? Feel free to share the word with friends and keep your eyes posted for news & updates!

So, with all of that said, if it's not too much to ask, please keep me in your prayers. I'm nervous and excited, but, above all, really proud of myself for taking this huge leap of faith. I'm going to make 2010 a year worth taking note of, you have my word on it!

Wishing you all everything your dreams are made of in 2010 and every year!

xo,
Evelyn

P.S. I haven't forgotten Passau and Prague! More lovely photos coming your way this week!

P.P.S. You guys really are the best :)

5 comments:

anna and the ring said...

Here's to 2010. I cannot wait to here more from you. Hello, Magpie!

HennHouse said...

Oh... Oh!!! I'm so excited for you!!

JMay said...

Your blog is so cute!

Glad I stumbled across it, will be following :-)

xo.

Angel said...

Happy 2010!!!

Mrs. B said...

GREAT news!
Should be a true success for you!
Best of luck in this New Year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...