1.21.2010

Candy-Colored Kids' Room






How darling is this bedroom? It appeals to my inner Scandinavian, I think. The bright candy colors pop against the crispy white walls and furnishings.  Simple, clean & whimsical, just the way a children's room should be.

Details I'm especially loving: the big window, the dowel-rod book display case & the bunting/pennants.

Another thing I love about this room is how easy + affordable it would be to duplicate. There's a lot of potential for thrifting, repurposing, upcycling and infusing other green techniques in a space like this, too. Wood flooring could be sustainable bamboo or cork (which is naturally mildew-resistant, warm underfoot and a great insulator). Milk paint would transform those found furniture pieces into kid- and earth-safe items. Vintage fabrics and hand-me-down toys & books would help transform this blank slate into a magical space. Also, this room has staying-power. By that I mean, this is the kind of room that could grow with a child over the years. It wouldn't take but a few changes to update this room into something for a bigger kid or teen.

2 comments:

Kimberly Aardal said...

This room certainly looks like a happy place and one where a child would have fun. I like the hanging airplane and the bright colored area rug.

Updating to be eco-friendly is a plus in my book. How about adding some organic bedding which can be changed out for different themes as the child grows?

Evelyn said...

Hi Kimberly! Thanks for the comment -- I couldn't agree more! Organic linen would be a great addition...or bamboo. It's so velvety soft!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...