12.14.2009

DIY LOVE: Pine Cone Bird Feeder

I love the little cardinals who live near my house. All year, they flutter and fly about, landing on my fence, trees and deck and sing their pretty song.

When I was a kid, I was in Brownies and once we made pine cone bird feeders for our winged winter friends, like the cardinal. If you're looking for a very cheap, fun, easy peasy (and kid-friendly) DIY project, consider making a few yourself! P.S. For just a little time and very little money, they would make great gifts from the wee ones, too, don't you think?

What you'll need:
· pine cones (see if you can find some around your neighborhood!)
· 2 plates
· butter knife
· peanut butter
· bird seed
· length of yarn or ribbon
· scissors

What to do:
· Cut a long length of yarn and find the middle.
· Slide the middle of the yarn into one of the top sections of the pine cone.
· Tie a knot to secure the yarn to the pine cone.
· Tie a knot in the end of the yarn to make a big loop for hanging the pine cone.
· Scoop some peanut butter onto one plate.
· Spread the peanut butter inside the pine cone and around the edges.
· Sprinkle the birdseed onto the peanut butter-covered pine cone (holding over the 2nd plate).
· Roll the pine cone in the extra birdseed that is on the plate.
· Hang the bird feeder on the tree & watch the birds enjoy their treat!

2 comments:

Mrs. B said...

What a wonderful idea.Thank you for posting!

hummingbird feeder said...

Lovely photo, I really like that, and thanks for the recipe I'm looking forward to trying this with my kids, I have three and I know they will all be so excited to do this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...