1.20.2009

Wrap It Up!

In my quest to find unique, yet affordable, wedding reception table centerpieces, I came across quite a few amazingly creative ways to not only highlight floral bouquets. Practical, customizable and budget-friendly, wrapping a plain vase is a great way to get a designer look for a fraction of the cost -- especially if you are a crafty bride-to-be like me!

{By Alyssa Ettinger, Courtesy Artnet.com}

This is it. My favorite. This stunning knitted vase wrap is by artist Alyssa Ettinger. I love the neutral texture of the cable-knit yarn. What I like the most about this particular wrap is the cozy look it exudes. It would be perfect for an autumn or winter wedding and, best yet, wouldn't require fuzzy, overworked floral arrangements -- just look how this single bloom shines! Though I don't knit, I crochet like the dickens and, if not for my wedding, plan on creating my own version of these beautiful vase wraps for myself. Do neither? What about repurposing the sleeves of old sweaters to fancy up those vases!


{Top, Courtesy Hostess with the Mostess. Bottom, courtesy Martha Stewart}


Perhaps paper is more your style. Well fear not, my paper-loving proteges, anyone with a glue stick can handle these beauties. All you need is a great paper and a glue stick! Extra bits and bobs, of course, always make your project look *that* much more chic, but are certainly not required. Check out the punchy pop printed paper on the left and the string-wrapped vellum sheets on the right. These are just a touch on the myriad of paper-wrapping possibilites. Extra wrapping paper, photo collages, old concert posters, scrapbooking paper, newspaper, sheet music, magazines...the possibilities are endless. This is a great opportunity to repurpse, too. Transform a garage sale find into one-of-a-kind and be the envy of all your friends!




{Top, Perfectly Pearls. Middle, Mi Piaci. Bottom, Inspired to Flower}

For the more eco-friendly bunch, look no further than Mother Nature herself. Bark, bamboo and banana leaves are natural choices for framing out flowers. The organic nature of these options is a nice contrast against silk, paper or fabric flowers, too, and will only help to make them look even more realistic. The bottom photo looks more complicated to make than it is -- look closely and you'll see that it is nothing more than a tall cylinder vase wrapped in a bamboo placemat. What zen space wouldn't benefit from any of these wrapped-vase options?

This is going to be a rewarding wedding DIY for me. Not only am I going to find great ways to cut costs, but I am going to infuse creativity and personality into what could have been a very ordinary tablescape. Can't wait to show you the final project!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...