7.21.2010

What's Cookin? Bacon + Cheddar Muffins

(OK. I meant for this post to be scheduled right after Father's Day, but something went awry. Nonetheless, it had to be shared, late or no. Enjoy!)

No one on earth loves bacon more than my step-dad Mr. M. You know those credit cards where you can upload  your own photo? Yep. His is a photo of bacon, no lie. So, as a nice thank you for all that he's helped me with this (and every) year, I made him a special treat this past Father's Day...bacon muffins. I wish I could say that I invented the bacon muffin, but alas. This brilliance is accredited to good ol' Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Cook Book, circa 1973. The cheddar topping, however, was my addition.

Behold! Bacon goodness...or as Mr. M. put it, "I am eating AWESOME!" Thanks, Mr. M!


Ingredients
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 well-beaten egg
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/3 c. cooking oil (I used veggie oil, but only needed about 1 Tbsp because the bacon drippings were nearly the required 1/3 c. This is probably because I cooked a whole slab of bacon and not just the 4-6 strips.)
- 4-6 pieces of crispy bacon, drained + crumbled (retain + set aside the bacon drippings)
- shredded cheddar (optional)

Directions
1. Stir together thoroughly all the dry ingredients; make a well in the center.
2. Combine beaten egg, milk, and oil (**use bacon grease mixed with enough cooking oil to make the 1/3 c. required of the recipe)
3. Stir everything just until moistened. Stir in bacon bits.
4. Fill well-greased or lined cupcake pan 2/3 filled.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes (I did 20 mins, then topped with shredded cheddar, then another 5 minutes to bake.)

6 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Mrs. M says they were really good, too - and bacon does make the household quite happy.

Cat said next time make it in cat food flavah though. He is always distraught when bacon ignores him.

Mr. M gets a sicko thrill out of being top of the food chain I think.

paislea said...

hi!! i'm a new follower! i adore your blog!! i hope you can follow me back!

i have added your button to my blog! and hope you will do the same!

♥ http://www.allisterbee.blogspot.com

Mr. M> said...

Unbelievably good. The only possible change would be to make them actual CAKE with bacon, but then my heart would explode.... BTW, this week's cookies were also great! LY

See Me Everywhere said...

This looks divine!! Hmmm such a good recipe to hold on to for when unexpected guests turn up :)

x

Diana Mieczan said...

OMG...That looks so good...I was just wondering what will I make tomorrow...Here it is !!! Thanks,sweetie and I hope you are having a fantastic weekend:)
Muah

one sydney road said...

Oh my husband is going to be all over these - he's convinced bacon should be in everything!! these look so yummy - gotta try these :)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...