No one on earth loves bacon more than my step-dad Mr. M. You know those credit cards where you can upload your own photo? Yep. His is a photo of bacon, no lie. So, as a nice thank you for all that he's helped me with this (and every) year, I made him a special treat this past Father's Day...bacon muffins. I wish I could say that I invented the bacon muffin, but alas. This brilliance is accredited to good ol' Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Cook Book, circa 1973. The cheddar topping, however, was my addition.
Behold! Bacon goodness...or as Mr. M. put it, "I am eating AWESOME!" Thanks, Mr. M!
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 well-beaten egg
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/3 c. cooking oil (I used veggie oil, but only needed about 1 Tbsp because the bacon drippings were nearly the required 1/3 c. This is probably because I cooked a whole slab of bacon and not just the 4-6 strips.)
- 4-6 pieces of crispy bacon, drained + crumbled (retain + set aside the bacon drippings)
- shredded cheddar (optional)
1. Stir together thoroughly all the dry ingredients; make a well in the center.
2. Combine beaten egg, milk, and oil (**use bacon grease mixed with enough cooking oil to make the 1/3 c. required of the recipe)
3. Stir everything just until moistened. Stir in bacon bits.
4. Fill well-greased or lined cupcake pan 2/3 filled.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes (I did 20 mins, then topped with shredded cheddar, then another 5 minutes to bake.)