So rather than wallowing in self-pity, I am embracing my birthday fully, with grace, and for all the best reasons:
1. I've been blessed with another healthy year of life.
2. It's certainly better to be turning 30 than 18, 21 or 25 (and it takes a certain age to understand why.)
3. I'll be 30 when I get married.
4. I'm younger now and forever will be younger than D. (hee hee)
5. I've been blessed to have had the chance to be friends with both of my parents and apologize for the childish, ridiculous and sometimes bad things I did when I was young.
6. I am even more blessed to have had their forgiveness.
7. I've learned to understand the difference between wishes and dreams and how to turn them into reality.
8. I can look back on my 20s, laugh and let go.
9. I've accepted that I'll never be perfect, but neither is anyone else and that's just fine with me.
10. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I'm going to make the most of my 30th year.
And so I'm throwing myself a party in the back yard that D. has worked so hard to make beautiful, with a few people who's company I enjoy more than anything. I can't wait :)