7.27.2009

Like a Fine Wine...

It's coming, you know. My birthday. The Big 3-0. As I know that is a perfectly acceptable age, I must be frank for a moment and say this: Where has the time gone? My mom told me this would happen. I just thought it would happen later. Much later...akin to gray hairs. So much for that, as it looks like both are here for the duration. (Though my stylist sister and sunblock have done wonders in artfully concealing both!)

So rather than wallowing in self-pity, I am embracing my birthday fully, with grace, and for all the best reasons:

1. I've been blessed with another healthy year of life.
2. It's certainly better to be turning 30 than 18, 21 or 25 (and it takes a certain age to understand why.)
3. I'll be 30 when I get married.
4. I'm younger now and forever will be younger than D. (hee hee)
5. I've been blessed to have had the chance to be friends with both of my parents and apologize for the childish, ridiculous and sometimes bad things I did when I was young.
6. I am even more blessed to have had their forgiveness.
7. I've learned to understand the difference between wishes and dreams and how to turn them into reality.
8. I can look back on my 20s, laugh and let go.
9. I've accepted that I'll never be perfect, but neither is anyone else and that's just fine with me.
10. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I'm going to make the most of my 30th year.

And so I'm throwing myself a party in the back yard that D. has worked so hard to make beautiful, with a few people who's company I enjoy more than anything. I can't wait :)

4 comments:

Taryn said...

What a wonderful post! I will be the big 3-0 next year and haven't been looking forward to it. This really puts it into perspective and I realize I need to see the good things about getting older rather than the bad. Thanks. :)

Mrs. B said...

Tastefully, artistically and beautifully written.

I can imagine your parents are very proud of you.

Thank you for sharing, and may your birthday be one of joy and laughter, and may you enjoy many many more!

The cupcakes look so good I may have to do some baking soon! Very inspirational! I like your E cookies!

Evelyn said...

Thank you, ladies, for your kind words. They are absolutely cherished.

@ Taryn -- Sometimes a little perspective can go a long way :) I generally need to take more of my own advice!

@ Mrs. B. -- Gosh, how I wish I could take credit for the bakery beauty in that shot, alas. That's a Martha creation...however, it's one of which I am convinced can be reproduced without too much blood, sweat and/or tears :)

D said...

hey, don't they say the older the wiser? :)

D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...