6.25.2009

The Value of My Dollar {Pt. 5}

{Courtesy brilliant. Check them out...they get it.}

Exhibit 5: Buy Local

And when you can't buy local, buy independent. We should all be embarrassed that we don't do this more often. Yes, it's not always easy, but is anything worth having ever as such? So much of our money goes to support overseas goods production - boosting their economies. Well, in case you hadn't noticed, our own isn't doing so hot. Don't believe me? Next time you're at a store, look at the "Made in" label. It could be pruning shears or rain boots. I'd bet you have a hard time finding anything made in the U.S.A. Why do you suppose that is? Well, my friends, it's cheaper to make cheap stuff elsewhere and occasionally, "they" make it better (read: cars.) It's sad, but true. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say I only buy American-made goods because I don't, but I am buying less in general than I ever have before and I carefully consider where my money will go next.

More than anything, though, I want to support my local small businesses and independent retailers every chance I get. It just goes back to being a responsible shopper -- take your time and do the research. Get out into your community and talk to a real person - the farmer selling organic greens, the boutique owner who supports the local art community, the small coffee shop who is still in business, even with a Starbucks down the street. Those are your neighbors. Lift them up and they will give back by strengthening your communities -- giving people jobs and recycling money back into the local economy. They are tremendously hard-working people too. They have to be in order to be a success. Take our wedding, for example. I am proud to say that every, single vendor we have chosen is a local business owner (and most of them 1 or 2 person shows.) A couple work out of their homes. Every person hugged me at the end of our meetings. I would be honest-to-goodness friends with these amazing people. I will go to them for their services and goods and refer them as often as possible because that's what it is really all about.

I'll step off of my soapbox now, but I will ask each of you to consider everything I've mentioned. Let it linger in the back of your mind. Marinate on it for awhile.

I think that money and how we spend it is a topic that each of us needs to not be afraid to discuss, if we are to ever EpiPen some life back into our economy. Wouldn't you agree? Let me know what you think -- if you agree or if you don't. I live for feedback!

3 comments:

Twila Jean said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you.
I would love to plagarize this all over the web.


Seriously, people. Buying locally is one of tthe BEST ways to grow, support, and stabilize our economy!

:D Shop local and buy small biz!!

Evelyn said...

Thanks Mama! Girl, paste away! I appreciate the support and encouragement!

Taryn said...

Hi, I found you on The Knot (yay for November brides!). :) Great blog and what a great message!! It is so important to buy locally...especially with the way things are nowadays. I live in Michigan (not too far from you I see) and we're definitely hurting. I'll definitely make a point to buy locally whenever possible. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...