3.09.2009

A Type 1's RHETI Adventure

So...in a very interesting twist, D. and I have to partake in one 2-hr. premarital counseling session at our church before we can be married there. The couple who has been together for 11 years finally is going to be analyzed. Yep, this is going to get very, very interesting.

Part of our preparation includes completing a full Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator. A 144-question beast of a personality test. I completed mine over the weekend and, even though I wasn't supposed to do anything but complete the test and email my scores over to the Rev., I felt compelled to tally the scores and find out which of 9 archetypes I fell into (per usual.) There is something I enjoy in learning more about what type of person I generally am and using it as a tool to better myself (or at least lessen my stressors and generally not be a PITA to those around me.) And I love tests. Love love them. And surveys, too. Big fan.

Let me preface this, though. I did "cheat" and I read the backside of the booklet where all 9 types are briefly explained. There was a clear and shining winner...I didn't need to take the test to know it, either. It was so obvious to me that I actually laughed out loud to myself when I was right -- clearly, I'm a Type 1 with a Type 8 coming in second.

Here's a brief explanation of each, in all of their glory (as taken from the Enneagram Institute):

Type One in Brief: The Reformer


Enneagram
free enneagram test

Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

  • Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
  • Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
  • Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
  • Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"

Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

Type Eight in Brief: The Challenger

Enneagram
free enneagram test

Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable. At their Best: self- mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.

  • Basic Fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others
  • Basic Desire: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life
    and destiny)
  • Enneagram Eight with a Seven-Wing: "The Maverick"
  • Enneagram Eight with a Nine-Wing: "The Bear"

Key Motivations: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.


So in a nutshell, it's interesting rediscovering yourself through this test. They have free, shorter versions available online. Give 'er a try and see if you're a Type 1 Reformer like me =)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be a Type 1, but now I'm a Type 7? I guess I do like to explore :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...